Located on the lower West side of the Sanctuary, the first Maury window is just inside the Narthex (LW1). Entitled Jesus on the Road to Emmaus, the window is dedicated “to the praise of God and the memory of Richard Launcelot Maury (1840-1907) and Matthew Fontaine Maury II (1863-1908).” According to records, they died “nine weeks apart.”
Richard Launcelot Maury was a Confederate veteran, a colonel in the 24th Virginia regiment, and he was a member of St. Paul’s, one of the founders of the St. Paul’s Endowment Fund in 1905, established at that time “to provide for the preservation of the church should the parish suffer significant membership loss.” Installed in 1910, the window was donated by Susan Maury and produced by the American Window Department of the Gorham Manufacturing Company, an American company best known for its silver products.
Two years later, in 1912, the second “Maury” window was donated by the daughter of Susan and Richard Maury, Anne H. Maury, and dedicated to the memory of her mother. It, too, was crafted by the Gorham Company and depicts “The Angel of Peace,” a visual interpretation of the window’s inscription, taken from Psalm 29: “The Lord Will Bless His People with Peace.” Fittingly, the church decided to locate the Susan E. Maury window directly above her husband's and son's, on the upper level and west side of the Sanctuary (UW1).
These and all of the stained glass windows in St. Paul’s have been included in a descriptive four-color book they published recently, called “Windows of Grace – a Tribute of Love,” will help raise funds for their preservation.
Travelers with an interest in Matthew Fontaine Maury will enjoy staying at our historic inn, which overlooks the Maury statue on Monument Avenue. Richmond visitors interested in Tiffany Glass have a short time remaining to see the Tiffany Exhibition at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, showing through August 15, 2010.
Mac Pence and Jeff Wells
your Richmond Virginia Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers at Maury Place at Monument