By the mid-1800's, Franklin Street had attracted some of the wealthiest and most powerful families of Richmond. With the development of Monroe Park at the corner of Franklin and North Belvidere streets in 1869, Franklin became Richmond's most fashionable thoroughfare and was the forerunner of Monument Avenue as Richmond's grand avenue. Promotional materials referred to Franklin Street as "Richmond's Fifth Avenue," and the street was so central to the city's identity that in 1890, planners routed the path of the new Robert E. Lee statue (now on Monument Avenue) so it could be hauled up Franklin Street as part of a celebratory parade.
The character of the street went through further changes in the 20th century as Virginia Commonwealth University began to convert many of the houses west of Belvidere into academic buildings and department offices. A few single family homes survive in a few blocks west of VCU that rival the elegant homes of Monument Avenue. Certainly Maury Place, which was built further west of today's core downtown and VCU area in 1916, falls into that category. Franklin Street has changed over the years as the city's needs have evolved, but signs of its role in the city's history survive in its architecture, of which Maury Place is a spectacular example. Franklin Street, along with Monument Avenue, is one of the few streets in Richmond that largely retains its historic residential character.
Mac Pence and Jeff Wells
your Richmond Virginia Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers at Maury Place at Monument