Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Other Maury House!

The June 1st issue of Richmond's Style Weekly featured a cover story about eight notable historic Richmond structures "that started life somewhere else and are now doing duty in different locations." The article is written by our friend Edward Slipek. The University of Richmond's Jepson Alumni Center has at its core a Bottomley house built in 1915 and moved across the street in 1996. Historic Agecroft Hall in Windsor Farms was built in the late 15th Century and re-located from Manchester, England to Windsor Farms in 1926.

Of special interest to us, however, is The Maury House, which was built in 1846 at 1105 East Clay Street and moved across the street to 1016 East Clay Street in 1996.  Matthew Fontaine Maury, the namesake of Maury Place at Monument and whose statue is across the street, was a noted sailor and scientist best known for having first charted all the oceans of the earth. He was also instrumental in developing ironclad ships. At one point in his career, he rented quarters at 1105 East Clay Street in the Italianate home of a cousin, Dr. Socrates Maupin, who was a professor at the Medical College of Virginia. Maury conducted experiments in an upstairs bathtub that led to his development of the torpedo. Virginia Commonwealth University dismantled the building and reconstructed it across the street brick by brick in the 1990's. It now is part of one of the few complete blocks of downtown 19th century architecture. The building now serves as the alumni center for VCU's Medical College of Virginia.

Mac Pence and Jeff Wells
your Richmond Virginia Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers at Maury Place at Monument