Monday, February 18, 2013

History of Richmond in 50 Objects

The Valentine Richmond History Center has roughly 1.7 million objects in its collection, so it has earned its reputation as "Richmond's attic"! The center has just opened a new exhibit "A History of Richmond in 50 Objects," which will run through October 20, 2013. The exhibit will be the last before the museum closes for renovations, which are scheduled to begin in November 2013.

Among the items on display are: a Confederate sword, a portrait of George Washington, a 19th century cigar store Indian, and a mid-1700's ledger from Patrick Henry's Hanover County store. There are also portraits done by contemporary artists, a suit worn by former Virginia Governor Doug Wilder during his inauguration, a 1950's Philco television, and the gay pride flag flown by the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in 2011. Each item was carefully chosen for its ties to Richmond. A Shirley Temple doll from the 1930's reminds us of native Richmonder Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. An employee at Tredegar Iron Works lost a son in the early 1900's, and he made an ornate iron bench to be placed by his son's graveside so his wife could sit there and grieve. The bench is one of the first items in the exhibit. The Center is also asking for visitor input for a 51st object to be added to the collection.

The exhibit runs from February 15 through October 20, 2013. There is a free preview weekend, February 15-17. The Valentine Richmond History Center is located at 1015 E. Clay Street, just a short drive from Maury Place at Monument. For further information, visit www.richmondhistorycenter.com.

Mac Pence and Jeff Wells
your Richmond Virginia Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers at Maury Place at Monument