Wednesday, August 28, 2013

About Richmond's Monument Avenue

Maury Place at Monument is located at the intersection of Monument Avenue, West Franklin Street, and Belmont Avenue. Monument Avenue, which is the only street in the United States to be declared a National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service, may be one of the nation's most scenic streets, but its early years were fraught with uncertainty. In 1893, just three years after the statue of Robert E. Lee was erected near what is now the street's eastern boundary, a nationwide economic depression brought construction of the grand avenue to a halt. For the next dozen or so years, the Lee Monument stood in a vacant field beyond the western edge of the city.

As the economy recovered, construction resumed, and by 1907, the final form of the avenue had taken shape. Monument Avenue's planners envisioned a street that would convey the grandeur of Paris's Champs-Elysees. Over the course of decades, the street extended further west and now spans five miles. The avenue's number of statues grew to six, with the newest honoring Arthur Ashe, which was unveiled in 1996.

Georgian and Colonial Revival styles dominate the avenue's architecture, but several homes reflect European influences such as Italian Renaissance Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival, and Tudor Revival. The Branch House, which is now home to the Virginia Center for Architecture, is the largest home on Monument Avenue. It is 27,000 square feet in size. The Tudor-Jacobean-style mansion was designed by John Russell Pope and was completed in 1919. It is located at 2501 Monument Avenue, and is a short walk from Maury Place.

Mac Pence and Jeff Wells
your Richmond Virginia Bed and Breakfast Innkeepers at Maury Place at Monument